Crafting Can Be Intimidating… But Oh, So Rewarding!

Starting something new has a funny way of bringing out all kinds of anxieties in us, doesn't it?

Not knowing where to start. Being afraid of doing something wrong. Fearing that the final result won't live up to what you envisioned—or worse, worrying that no one will appreciate what you've created (or that you won't even like it yourself!).

Well, over my many years of teaching and creating, I’ve learned a very important lesson: all of those worries are completely unfounded.

Figuring out how to do something, learning the best techniques and tools, and slowly building your confidence—it is all just part of the process. Sure, that process can be a bit of a bumpy ride at times, but when you push forward, learn something new, and hit that breakthrough moment? It feels so good.

Lessons from the Classroom

Having been a teacher for over thirty years, I was lucky enough to witness that journey of growth on a daily basis. In my classroom, we had a literal "EASY" button. Whenever a student thought something was going to be too hard, struggled, worked through it, and finally had that magic "aha!" moment, they earned the right to press that button. Everyone celebrated. The child felt proud, positive, and capable.

In my last year of teaching, I led my Grade 4/5 art class through a watercolor and fine-line pen mountain landscape. I loved the project so much that I even framed my own sample!

Looking at this piece always reminds me of that classroom "EASY" button and the power of pushing through creative hesitation. As adults, we really need to work on giving ourselves that exact same chance. Struggle is just a natural part of growth, and it is completely okay to feel a little apprehensive when trying something new!

Pushing My Own Crafting Boundaries

I’ve spent the last couple of weeks tackling a few things that have been hard for me to feel confident in doing.

The first showed up right at my stamping desk. I know many of you look at my cards and wonder, "How did she learn that? How did she get there?" Well, thanks to a wonderful new friendship with Shannon West out of Pleasant Grove, Utah, I decided to dive into something I’ve always looked at with pure wonder: watercolor painting.

I listened, I watched, and I finally got inspired to just... try.

I started with a wet-on-wet watercolor technique to build soft, rolling green hills and a gentle blue sky. Once the background dried, I added cozy stamped and coloured woodland creatures from the Woodland Wishes stamp set, a sweet twine bow, and a "Holiday Greetings" sentiment to complete the card.

And the result? I feel so good about what I was able to create! Now, I just want to keep practicing, keep improving, and start sharing with all of you how to do it, too! I am so deeply grateful for finding mentors and friends who help build my confidence, and I hope I can be that same supportive voice for you in your papercrafting journey.

Learning Beyond the Stamp Studio

The second technique pushing me out of my comfort zone is crochet. Luckily, two of my daughters have been stepping in to coach me, helping me realize that I already have a great foundation to build on!

Lately, I’ve been practicing on these vibrant, colorful granny squares during relaxing evenings on the couch.


Whether it’s watercoloring, stamping, or stitching, taking time to create with your hands is such a wonderful way to unwind.

So, what is one new technique or craft you’ve been hesitant to try? Let’s tackle it together! Drop a comment below and let me know what you're working on this week.

Happy crafting,

Sharon

Want more crafting tips, project inspiration, and class updates sent straight to your inbox?


Comments

Popular Posts